If you would like further information on speech-language therapy, tracheostomy care, and ventilator dependence visit the following resources. Call Independence Plus at (708) 366-4500 to arrange home care services.
• To learn how a tracheostomy can impact speech production, read this page from the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association.
• Discover how a Passy-Muir Valve can enable speech and facilitate healing in patients with tracheostomies at Passy-Muir.com.
• For a comprehensive guide to tracheostomy care, visit this page from ClevelandClinic.org.
• The University of Miami Miller School of Medicine provides step-by-step instructions on suctioning a tracheostomy, cleaning the inner cannula, changing the dressing, and more.
• Learn about the respiratory complications that are commonly associated with spinal cord injury at the National Spinal Cord Injury Association.